.. and in 24 Bit

SDL can force a 32bit mode, so on a 24bit screen we do a:

SDL_SetVideoMode (current_width, current_height, 32, uiSDLVidModFlags);

And with this magic, PUAE also works in my 24-bit AROS/linux hosted environment :)!

And as you can see in the above picture, harddrive support is now also enabled, the above os3.1 was booted from a emulated harddrive.

There seems to be at least one strange bug still hidden somewhere, as the version command fails for no obvious reason. Seems to be a problem with loading files from the harddrives, but I am not sure.. Directory listings seem to work quite fine, though.


PUAE .. in 16bit only ..

Debugging PUAE really sucked, as everything seemed to be working perfect, just the window stayed black..

But one simple trick made it working: switching my windows resolution to 16 bit, which forced my x11 server on windows to 16bit, which then caused AROS/hosted to 16 bit .. which made PUAE/AROS display the above window!


The showstopper seems to be gfxvidinfo.pixbytes, which is 2 for 16 bit and 4 for 32 bit..
but for AROS hosted on X11 I get 24 bit, which results in gfxvidinfo.pixbytes of 3(!).

Have a look at the UAE code (all UAEs!):

static void pfield_do_fill_line2 (int start, int stop, bool blank)
  switch (gfxvidinfo.pixbytes) {
  case 2: fill_line_16 (xlinebuffer, start, stop, blank); break;
  case 4: fill_line_32 (xlinebuffer, start, stop, blank); break;

So you notice, what happens? 

If pixbytes is 3, *nothing* happens. No error, no warning, nada. 

And this is, why debugging sucked.

So at least now I know, what causes the problem .. the solution is still a bit away.



Even the GUI opens up:

It is not really working either, but it at least sometimes is a real advantage, that gtk-mui exists :).


I have had no motivation to debug the j-uae bsdsocket.library code any further, so I decided to do something else:

I compiled P-UAE 2.6.0 for AROS and after some minor changes to the code (and some bigger problems with configure), I reached the point, where it opens a window :).

It was compiled with the SDL backend and a gtk-mui GUI, so not much actual porting work.

Now comes the boring part again.. debugging.. let's see, if I find some motivation this time.