emulation heaven

Nothing happened to my code for quite some time, sorry. No spare time -> no code.

So this blog entry is the best I can do for you ;).

Did you ever wonder, how my development machine looks like? I'll give you an impression.

The only native operating system is Windows XP. It runs two things:
- an X Server (Xming) and
- VMWare

In VMWare I run Debian (and sometimes IcAros). Debian opens quite some xterms on the X Server (rootless).

In those xterms, tirc is running as my irc client and I can start AROS from there. So AROS is running on Xming, too.

Now inside AROS, I can run j-uae (rootless of course).

It's a pity, AROS can not run rootless, otherwise I would really loose the overview, which window runs where ;).

And this is where it ends (this is just one X11 window):

This is m68k-ffplay (new version from aminet) running rootless inside j-uae, which is running on x86-aros running linux hosted running in VMware on Windows XP.

Any further questions?

Btw, the video runs quite smooth, fascinating.

The only remaining question is, which DS9 episode is being played ;)?


"screenshot of cut and paste in action with e.g. Wordworth"

For Manu:



Sometimes the amigaOS side simply died and was frozen. I was hunting this bug for quite some time now. But with clipboard support, it happened way too often. But I was not able to find any problems in my code. All function returned, but sometimes, amigaOS display was simply locked.

So finally I managed to reproduce the problem, surprisingly without even any clipboard interaction.

The problem seems to be, that AROS sends IDCMP_MENUVERIFY messages not only to the active window, but to *all* windows. I switch off the amigaOS-display-to-aros-display copy, as soon as a MENUVERIFY is received and switch it on, as soon as a MENUPICK is received, I got a locked display, as MENUPICKs are *not* sent to all windows.

I did not discover this problem earlier, because I never tried to select any menu in AROS, when I tested j-uae. For clipboard testing, I did a lot of copy/paste with the help of menus.

As MENUVERIFY messages normally cause no harm and are invisible to the users, this bug is likely to cause no bigger problems. But for j-uae it is very harmful.

Nevertheless, found it. Wrote a quick work-around in j-uae and the problem is gone.

Let's see, if I try to fix it in AROS (or just use the Bugtracker ;)).